Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Currants

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

Currants and raisins both hail from the dried grape, coming from two different kinds. As explained in our section about grape/raisin toxicity, the amount that your pet would need to eat is still not entirely known, making this food an even greater concern. Some studies even suggest that likelihood of grape or raisin poisoning varies from animal to animal, regardless of amount or breed. For the time being, grapes, raisins, and their currant cousins, are classified as a moderate risk, but it should be considered an emergency for any small animals or any large quantities.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and unknown (but likely) in cats
Symptoms: 
vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal drinking or urination, lethargy, inappetance, halitosis, dehydration
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.