Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Grapes/raisins

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

Grapes and raisins are great human treats, but should be avoided when it comes to our furry friends. The level and cause of toxicity in grapes and raisins is unknown, making this food an even greater concern. There is no exact threshold for toxicity, so while it might be okay for a large breed dog to eat a single grape, it might be life-threatening for a small breed. Some studies even suggest that likelihood of grape or raisin poisoning varies from animal to animal, regardless of amount or breed. Grapes and raisins most commonly cause kidney failure in dogs, and because of this, the same is considered a potential concern in cats. Signs can be seen anywhere from 6-24 hours after ingestion. Vomiting is seen in almost all cases, with other signs including diarrhea, decreased appetite, pain in the abdomen, lethargy, weakness, sweet smelling breath, decreased urination, and dehydration. For the time being, grapes are classified as a moderate risk, but it should be considered an emergency for any small animals or any large quantities.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and unknown (but likely) in cats
Part of food: 
Fruit or juice
Symptoms: 
Vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, abdominal pain, walking drunk, depression, tremors, and seizures.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.