Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Zinc oxide

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

Zinc can be found in nuts, bolts, hardware, and various metals (including coins) throughout your home. It can also be found in supplement form or in topical medications like diaper rash cream or sunscreen. Unfortunately, zinc can toxic to our pets. In very small doses, GI upset is the most common concern. However, in large amounts, anemia and death become a real possibility. When zinc meets the acidic environment of your pet's stomach, it will absorb directly into the bloodstream and can lead to liver, kidney, and heart failure. If your pet has ingested a metal object or coin (especially a penny) that could contain zinc, or has ingested a large quantity of a zinc supplement or topical medication, seek emergency care. If your pet ate a small amount, licked your hand after applying sunscreen or diaper rash cream, the symptoms are likely to be mild to moderate GI upset, which should resolve within a day or two but should be evaluated if it doesn't resolve quickly.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Formulations: 
Found in topical skin protectants, astringents, bactericidal agents, and as oral supplements
Symptoms: 
Vomiting, diarrhea, swollen face and eyes, anemia, liver failure, kidney failure, and heart failure
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.