Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

"Find a penny pick it up, save a kitten or a pup". Also look for this mineral in jewelry, zippers, nuts and bolts. If the pet has swallowed a penny, mild GI concerns can be seen. If a pet eats large amounts of this mineral, please seek veterinary care right away.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Brand names: 
Pennies, nuts, bolts, staples, nails, board game pieces, zippers and jewelry
Symptoms: 
Lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, depression, dark colored urine, yellowing of the skin and eyes, orange colored feces.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.