Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

Xylitol is found in many things, with the most common being sugar free gum and sugar free candy. However, it can also be present in baked goods, toothpastes, and even peanut butter these days! Peanut butter is especially scary, considering that this is a common yummy treat fed to dogs, so be sure to read the labels! The biggest concern with Xylitol is its ability to lower sugar (glucose) levels in the body and cause significant liver damage. Xylitol toxicity can happen very quickly, with signs noted as soon as 10-15 minutes after ingestion! Clinical signs of xylitol toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, dark blood in the stool, weakness, walking funny, tremors, seizures, and yellowing of the skin, eyes and gums. Because xylitol toxicity can occur so quickly, getting your cat or dog to the vet as soon as possible is vital.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and unknown (but likely) in cats
Part of food: 
Found in sugar free gum, candy, foods and medications
Symptoms: 
Weakness, walking drunk, altered mentation, seizures, yellowing of the skin and eyes, bruising, and vomiting.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.