Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Tulips and Hyacinths

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

Tulips are one of the most recognizable plants in the world. In Holland, they line just about every street. Here in the US, they are planted and seen in the Spring. There is even a song about them "Tiptoe through the Tulips". For cats especially, Tulips can be lethal. Their bulbs are the most potent portion of the plant, but even the leaves and stem can pose a serious risk. If there is any question about possible ingestion of a Tulip, immediate veterinary care (especially for cats) is needed.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of plant: 
All, bulbs most toxic
Symptoms: 
Vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, drooling, depression, and heart abnormalities.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.