Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Poison ivy/oak

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

We all know the song "Poison Ivy" or "You're gonna need an ocean of calamine lotion" right?! Summer time would not be complete without at least one family member getting Poison Ivy. Our dogs and cats are lucky though! They are not susceptible to the itchy, red rash that people are. What you have to be careful of is that, while they may not show signs of concern, they can pass the oil on to their human family members. Watch out! If you have been hiking, or camping, or out in the woods with your dog and think they may have rubbed up against Poison Ivy. Give them a good bath (with gloves on) so that they do not pass the oil on to you!

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of plant: 
All
Symptoms: 
Skin redness and itchiness.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.