Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Poinsetta

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

Poinsettas are the lovely red plants that we see everywhere during the holidays. They make great mantle and fireplace decorations as well as front door and table ornaments. The poinsetta plant got a bad wrap for being lethal to pets and so for a long time, people stopped having them in their homes. Thankfully, the poinsetta is not as toxic as once believed and so we are seeing them back in holiday decor. Minor GI upset such as nausea and vomiting are what can be expected if your pet happens to snack on your plant. Occasional diarrhea has been noted as well. This will usually go away after 24 hours. Because the plant is only mildly irritating, veterinary care is not necessary in most cases. Monitoring at home is the most common treatment recommended. If some of the sap gets on your pet's skin or in their eyes, flush the area with water right away. Any irritation will go away on its own in most cases.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of plant: 
All, milky white sap
Symptoms: 
Drooling, licking lips, vomiting, skin irritation including redness, swelling, and itchiness.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.