Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

Periwinkles are native to Europe and Northern Africa.  They are trailing vines and ground cover with attractive flowers in blue or purple, making them popular for potted plants, ground cover for planting beds or wooded areas, and much more. However, even the slightest ingestion of this plant can make your pet deathly ill, so vet care is needed right away!

Other names: 
Vinca spp., Dumbcane, Common periwinkle, Old maid, Running myrtle, Blue periwinkle, Greater periwinkle
Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Symptoms: 
Anorexia, anemia, incoordination, muscle tremors, low blood pressure, seizures, death
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.