Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Organic fertilizer

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

Most fertilizers contain varying amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (potash). An organic fertilizer may also include plant and animal by-products, rock powders, seaweed, inoculants, and conditioners. They only become toxic in a warm, moist environment which is exactly what is inside your pet.   While small ingestions of fertilizer may only result in mild stomach upset, larger ingestions can result in severe poisoning from the iron, nitrogen and other chemicals. Large ingestions of meal-based fertilizers may also form a concretion in the stomach resulting in a bowel obstruction or severe and painful inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis).

If you think your dog or cat was exposed to fertilizer, contact your veterinarian.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Brand names: 
All
Symptoms: 
Vomiting and diarrhea
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.