Nutmeg may be a great addition to various dishes for us humans, it should never be introduced to our dog and cat friends. Did you know that the nutmeg seeds (originally hailing from the evergreen tree) used to be used as a hallucinogen? The toxic dose in people is around 10-15 grams (or approximately 3 whole nutmegs) of the dried spice. The issue with nutmeg is a product called myristicin, and is found in the oil of the seed. Toxicity in dogs and cats can be seen when approximately 5 grams of the spice is ingested. Symptoms can be seen as soon as 3-8 hours after the spice has been eaten, however it can take a few days before full recovery occurs. Clinical signs of poisoning include a decrease in body temperature, dehydration, vomiting, decreased production of saliva, increased heart rate, muscle tremors, disorientation, seizures, and even death.