Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Nutmeg

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

Nutmeg may be a great addition to various dishes for us humans, it should never be introduced to our dog and cat friends. Did you know that the nutmeg seeds (originally hailing from the evergreen tree) used to be used as a hallucinogen? The toxic dose in people is around 10-15 grams (or approximately 3 whole nutmegs) of the dried spice. The issue with nutmeg is a product called myristicin, and is found in the oil of the seed. Toxicity in dogs and cats can be seen when approximately 5 grams of the spice is ingested. Symptoms can be seen as soon as 3-8 hours after the spice has been eaten, however it can take a few days before full recovery occurs. Clinical signs of poisoning include a decrease in body temperature, dehydration, vomiting, decreased production of saliva, increased heart rate, muscle tremors, disorientation, seizures, and even death.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of food: 
Whole or ground (powder) used for cooking
Symptoms: 
Small amounts ingested may cause mild symptoms such as mild stomach upset. Large amounts can cause disorientation, dehydration, tremors, seizures, nervous system abnormalities and death.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.