Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Moldy Food

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

While mold may be a reason for us humans to throw food away, it is often a tempting treat for our cat and dog friends. The main toxin found in mold comes from something called Aflatoxin. Aflatoxin comes from a fungi family called Aspergillus and is found in moldy foods and garbage. The toxin causes damage to the cells of the liver, often leading to liver dysfunction.  Clinical signs can include a decrease in appetite, diarrhea, vomiting, yellowing of the eyes, skin, and gums, weakness, seizures, and coma. An increase in urination and thirst, increased heart rate, and pale gums, can often be noted as well. It can take up to three weeks before signs are noted after the mold has been ingested, so if you suspect that your pet has gotten into moldy foods, you should contact a whiskerDocs expert for guidance, even if you're not noticing symptoms.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of food: 
Mycotoxins/mold on any food
Symptoms: 
Vomiting, hyperactivity, depression, coma, tachycardia (fast heart rate), pulmonary edema, muscle tremors and seizures. Even death can occur in first 2-4 hours.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.