While mold may be a reason for us humans to throw food away, it is often a tempting treat for our cat and dog friends. The main toxin found in mold comes from something called Aflatoxin. Aflatoxin comes from a fungi family called Aspergillus and is found in moldy foods and garbage. The toxin causes damage to the cells of the liver, often leading to liver dysfunction. Clinical signs can include a decrease in appetite, diarrhea, vomiting, yellowing of the eyes, skin, and gums, weakness, seizures, and coma. An increase in urination and thirst, increased heart rate, and pale gums, can often be noted as well. It can take up to three weeks before signs are noted after the mold has been ingested, so if you suspect that your pet has gotten into moldy foods, you should contact a whiskerDocs expert for guidance, even if you're not noticing symptoms.