Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Macadamia Nuts

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

Macadamia nuts may be delicious for people, but should not be shared with our fellow furry friends. Both processed and fresh forms can cause problems, with very little of the nut being eaten before issues are seen. The toxin in the macadamia nut is unknown, but often is related to stomach and brain issues. Clinical signs include vomiting, generalized tremoring of the muscles, weakness (especially seen in the back legs), difficulty walking, lethargy, pain in the stomach and joints, lameness, increased body temperature, and pale gums.  These symptoms are usually seen about 12 hours after ingestion of the nut. These signs, though not ideal, often go away within 24-48 hours by themselves, but truly depend on how much your pet has ingested. Even though symptoms can resolve on their own, the severity of them can be decreased if veterinary care is provided.

It is extremely important to note, however, if the macadamia nut was eaten in something else (i.e. a cookie). While the macadamia nut itself may not cause long term issues, things like chocolate and caffeine (often found with these nuts) can.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and unknown (but likely) in cats
Part of food: 
Nut
Symptoms: 
Can see signs of toxicity within 1-2 hours - lethargy or vomiting are commonly seen. After longer period of time has passed, panting, ataxia, urinary incontinence, diarrhea, muscle tremors, tachycardia, and hyperthermia can occur. Signs are dose dependent, and in severe cases or large ingestions, hypertension, cardiac arrhythmias, muscle rigidity, seizures, respiratory failure, coma, and death are possible.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.