Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Isopropyl Alcohol

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

One of the most common of household products is Isopropyl Alcohol. Often used for cleaning wounds, sanitizing, disinfecting as well as an ingreadient found in a lot of our hand lotions, hair products, perfumes, etc., ingestion can make your pet very sick, especially in large amounts. Small amounts, such as the little bit your pet may ingest while cleaning himself after a blood draw at the vet, would be relatively harmless, but can still lead to the gastrointestinal symptoms noted in pets that are highly sensitive. Because your pets symptoms could vary, please keep these and all household chemical products out of reach of pets.

Other names: 
Antiseptic, disinfectant, also found in lotions, hair tonics, aftershave, perfumes and colognes, cleaning solvents and sanitizers, rubbing alcohol
Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Symptoms: 
Vomiting with or without blood, retching, abdominal pain, central nervous system (CNS) depression, decreased respiratory rate, and coma. The pet will appear drunk and the breath often has an alcohol odor.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.