Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Iron

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

Iron can help people "pump up" but, it can cause some major concerns for our pets. Make sure to keep nutritional supplements behind closed cabinets and out of reach. Throw away package inserts from dehydrated foods. Iron can cause the lining of the GI tract to breakdown and bleed or in severe cases, perforate. Keep some Milk of Magnesia on hand and give it right away if you think your pet has eaten iron. You can also offer eggs, water, and milk to help absorb the excess mineral. Seek veterinary help immediately if swallowed.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Brand names: 
Fertilizers, snail/slug bait, instant hand warmers, oxygen removers from dehydrated food bag
Symptoms: 
Vomiting, diarrhea, bleeding, low blood pressure, and shock.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.