Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Cinnamon

Severity scale:
No/low toxicity

This potential toxin is considered to be a mild risk or the symptoms are not considered serious. The risk level, however, may vary depending on the amount or part ingested (see details below). While in most cases you should be able to carefully monitor your pet at home, if any of the symptoms listed below appear, if your pet's condition worsens not improves, or if there is any change in your pet's behavior or other habits, please contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance.

While delicious in a variety of our foods and adding pleasing aromas to the home, cinnamon can be toxic to our pets. The active natural compound in cinnamon that gives it flavor is called cinnamaldehyde. Small amounts of ingested cinnamon can cause vomiting and diarrhea. If large amounts of cinnamon are ingested, though, your pet's glucose levels can drop leading to severe health issues, and can even lead to a coma. Long term exposure to cinnamon can also cause liver damage.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of food: 
decorative items, tree, essential oils, powder, sticks
Symptoms: 
Most common symptom is oral irritation and/or blisters. Ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hypoglycemia, liver disease, changes in heart rate. Inhalation of powder can cause coughing, choking, difficulty breathing, bronchiospasm.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.