Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Chrysanthemum

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

These beautiful flowers grow mostly in the fall and are found in a variety of colors. They look like fluffy puff balls and can therefore be irresistable to pets. Chrysanthemums are a known toxic plant. In fact, some species are grown specifically for use in making commercial grade pesticides. Because of this, it is best to keep your pet away from these plants. Eating a small amount of this plant can cause some minor GI discomfort and signs such as diarrhea and vomiting. If a large amount of these flowers have been ingested, it is best to seek veterinary care for supportive treatment.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of plant: 
All
Symptoms: 
Vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, incoordination, and dermatitis.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.