This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.
Found in household cleaners, hair dyes, button batteries, and dish detergent, Alkalis are an everyday household item. Even small amounts of this chemical can cause severe damage to mucous membranes and the GI tract. How well the animal will do is based on amount of exposure (eating/drinking it vs contact with it) and type of exposure (eyes, skin, oral cavity, ingestion). Milk and water can be given for ingestion and oral contact. Flush eyes and skin with water. Seek immediate veterinary care in all cases.