Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

While many humans may enjoy an alcoholic bevarage now and then, our furry friends should never be allowed to take part in this common pastime. Alcohol is extremely poisonous to dogs and cats, even in the smallest quantities. Alcohol isn't limited to your favorite 21 and over beverage, either. It can be found in other things like mouthwashes, perfumes, unbaked breads containing yeast, and even rotting or fermenting fruits and vegetables. Dogs are especially attracted to alcohol, no matter what form it is in, so keeping alcohol out of reach from our mischeavious furry friends is vital. Ethanol is the chemical toxin responsible for all the concerning signs associated with alcohol intake including vomiting, hyperexcitability, difficulty breathing, collapse, depression, lethargy, coma, seizures, and death. The hops, which are found in beer, can also cause additional problems, including breathing issues.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of food: 
Any drink containing alcohol; unbaked dough containing yeast
Symptoms: 
Vomiting, excitation, wobbling or drunken appearance when walking, lethargy, collapse, depression, coma, and seizures.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.