Why is my senior dog less interested in play?
Many senior dogs will have developed problems like arthritis, and therefore might be less interested in play. It’s also normal for senior dogs to “slow down” just as older people do. This does not mean, however, that you shouldn’t try to give your dog some exercise and mental stimulation through play.
How do I play with my senior dog?
Older dogs will be extremely variable in their participation in play. Experiment with a variety of toys for fetching, chasing, and chewing. You can teach your dog to play even if he has never done it before, or he may simply prefer to lie by your side most of the time.
KONG pet stix dog toy
- for tossing and tugging
KONG Classic dog toy
- can be filled with peanut butter or treats to encourage interaction
Chuckit! Indoor Ball
- soft and harmless
How do I get my dog to exercise when I am not home?
Some dogs keep themselves busy, but your senior dog will most likely sleep all day! You can hide treats for your dog to search and find. Your dog may play with other pets in the house, but if not, you can encourage play with electronic or treat filled toys. Having a pet door and a fenced yard may encourage your dog to move around more as well.
PetSafe Busy Buddy Tug-A-Jug Meal Dispensing Toy
- fill with food to keep him busy
Bark Bazaar Squeaky Ball
- fill with treats
Nina Ottosson's Interactive Dog Toy
- your dog has to solve a puzzle to get the treats or food
- interactive on demand ball launcher lets dogs play fetch without human assistance (small dogs only)
Can I take my senior dog for long walks?
It depends on the dog! Always have an older dog examined by the vet to determine how much exercise is appropriate for his age and health.
Comfort Control Dog Walking Harness with padded vest
- Safety, control and comfort all wrapped into one
Flexi Explore Retractable Belt Dog Leash
- Allows your dog additional freedom when walking but can also be locked shorter for tighter control
Halti Opti Head Collar for Dogs
- Helps control pulling by an untrained or especially energetic dog