How often should I give my dog a bath?
This depends on the type of skin and hair your dog has. A good rule is to bathe them when they are dirty or have a body odor. For dogs with oily, allergic, or infected skin, this could be twice a week! Other dogs can go several weeks without a bath. If your adult dog gets very stressed at bathtime, you will need to do some training, or have the bath done by a professional to avoid risk of injury.
- Perfect Coat Natural Oatmeal Shampoo--for dogs with allergic or normal skin
- Duouxo Chlorhexidine PS Shampoo--
- -for dogs with recurrent skin infections
- Johnsons Dog Shampoo Coal Tar & Sulfur---
- for dogs with oily skin
- Bobbi Panter Natural Moisturizing Dog Shampoo--
- for dogs with dry skin
Do I need to brush my dog?
Depending on his hair coat, your dog might need to be brushed to reduce shedding and matting of fur. Use a deshedding tool to get the best results.
Does my long-haired dog need to be shaved when it is hot outside?
Any dog may need shaving if you are unable to keep his hair from getting matted. Your dog may also have hair, not fur, and therefore have a coat that does not shed or grows rapidly. These dogs will often need to be shaved. Do not have your dog shaved simply because of heat. For some dog breeds, thick fur actually acts as an insulation from the heat. A professional groomer can give you excellent advice about haircuts for different breeds of dogs.
- Four Paws Magic Coat Love Glove, Furminator long hair deshedding tool, Safari self cleaning slicker brush
- Tools to help you remove the loose hair off your dog on a daily basis. Prevents excessive shedding and matting
Should I trim my adult dog's toenails myself?
All dogs need their nails trimmed regularly, but you will need to be careful the first time you try this on any adult dog. Some dogs have been traumatized by painful nail trims or may not be trained for this at all. Consult with your veterinarian if your dog seems uncomfortable with this issue.
- JW Pet Company Deluxe Nail Trimmer for Dogs
- Oster Gentle Paws Premium
- For trimming or grinding nails at home
Do I need to brush my adult dog's teeth?
Absolutely! Tooth paste made for dogs is usually flavored and safe for dogs to swallow. You can use a finger brush or a regular toothbrush to clean your dog’s teeth. There are also dental chews, sprays, water additives and gels available for your dog. With training, your dog can learn to enjoy this process and will remind you to do this every day!
- Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste Dog Poultry Flavor
- Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Dog Dental Spray
- Arm and Hammer Toothbrush and Finger Toothbrush Set for Dogs
- Emmy's Best Premium Pet Water Additive