What types of food and water bowls do I need?
Steel or ceramic food bowls are best, but do not use plastic. Fountains are better than bowls for water.
Should I feed my cat dry food?
Dry food is less expensive, easier to store, and less messy. Most cats prefer to nibble at their food around the clock, eating up to 30 small meals per day. You can control cats calorie intake by feeding a high or low calorie food,low in carbohydrates, while having it available at all times.
Should I feed my cat canned food?
Canned Wet food and soft moist pouches contain a lot of water, which makes it more expensive and also subject to spoiling if the cat doesn't eat it all in one meal. However, cats seem to love it and once you start feeding it, the cat will demand it every day after that!
There are advantages to feeding canned food. Cats in general do not drink enough water and canned food provides additional water. Also, cats should eat a high protein, low carbohydrate diet, which is most often found only in certain canned foods.
How do I know what cat food to buy?
There are so many products on the market it can be confusing. We recommend foods that are made in the USA with ingredients from the USA, to avoid the risk of contaminated sources overseas. The food should taste good, maintain your cat's ideal weight, and result in healthy, solid stools. Again, cats do not drink enough and do better on canned food. Also, they are true carnivores and need a high protein, low carbohydrate diet to help prevent obesity and diabetes. Very few dry foods provide the right ratio. Many canned foods do.
- MANY Products: Orijen, Acana, Fromm, Great Life, Pure Vita,Weruva, Tikicat, Wellness, Natural Balance, Avoderm, Halo, Solid Gold, Merrick, Nutro Ultra, Purina Proplan, Newmans Own, Purina One, Kirkland Brand
- Made in the USA
How much do I feed?
Your vet can tell you how much your cat weighs, and if she needs to gain or lose. Look at the recommendations on the food bag or can and feed for what you cat should weigh and not necessarily what she actually weighs to keep her weight ideal. However, what is printed on the bag cannot take everything about your cat into consideration. Metabolic rates are different for each cat as is the level of exercise. The scale, ultimately, is the best way to maintain a healthy weight for your kitty.
- Petmate Pet Cafe Feeder
- This free feeder will provide food at all times for several days
- Esky Electronic Portion Control Automatic Feeder
- Automatic feeders can be programed to dispense just the right amount of food for cats who tend to overeat, and you don't need to be home.
- Wonder Bowl Selective Feeder
- This Selective Feeder keeps other pets out of your cat's food so it is perfect for cats on a special diet for medical reasons.
How often do I feed my cat?
If you’re feeding dry food, it should be in controlled portions at least twice daily. If you’re feeding canned food, it spoils after 15-30 minutes, so cannot be left down, but should be fed a minimum of twice daily.
How much water should my cat drink?
Fresh, clean water should be available to your cat at all times. The amount a cat drinks will depend on what type of food she is eating. Cats on wet food may drink very little to no extra water compared to a cat on dry.
- Pet Safe Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain, or Aspen Pet Products Deluxe Fresh Flow pet fountain
- Fountains will encourage your cat to drink more water. Use these instead of turning on the faucet for your cat, which can lead to annoying, demanding behaviors.
What treats are best for my cat?
Treats should be tailored to your individual cat's needs, and taste buds!
- Feline Greenies Dental Treats will help keep her mouth fresh
- Pet Naturals Hairball Treats are beneficial for long haired cats
- Calming Cat plus melatonin soft chew for anxious cats
- Catit Design Senses Grass Garden Kit for cats who like veggies
Are human foods safe for my cat?
Cats have special dietary requirements for protein and amino acids, so you should avoid feeding them human food exclusively, or diets that are 100% Fish. Small amounts of cooked meats, and occasional bites of your food are safe. Dairy products ideally should be lactose free for better digestion. Be sure you know what foods are not safe, like chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions, macadamia nuts, garlic, yeast dough, coffee, salt and xylitol.
Where should I place the food and water?
Place the food and water bowls away from high traffic areas and the litter box . Food may need to go up high on a shelf, counter or dryer where only the cat can reach it if you have dogs.
Petsafe Slimcat Meal Dispensing Cat Toy
encourages your cat to exercise while eating, an excellent choice for an overweight cat.