Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Sunflower

Severity scale:
No/low toxicity

This potential toxin is considered to be a mild risk or the symptoms are not considered serious. The risk level, however, may vary depending on the amount or part ingested (see details below). While in most cases you should be able to carefully monitor your pet at home, if any of the symptoms listed below appear, if your pet's condition worsens not improves, or if there is any change in your pet's behavior or other habits, please contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance.

Large, multi-petaled flowers of yellow, orange or red with yellow, brown, blue or purple disk centers supported by tall, thick stems. A beautiful fall-favorite, sunflowers can reach up to 9 feet tall. Ingestion of any part of a sunflower is not likely to cause any problems for your pet, but as is possible with any ingestion of any foreign substance, your pet may vomit after eating this.

Other names: 
swamp sunflower, helianthus angustifolius
Toxic to: 
None
Symptoms: 
No toxic response, however vomiting from ingestion of a foreign object/substance is possible
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.