Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

Have you ever wondered what those minature palm trees were? Well those often are Sago Palms and are extremely poisonous to our furry friends. Every part of this plant is toxic, with the seeds (nuts) being the worst. The main toxin we worry about in Sago Palm is called cycasin, mainly affecting the liver, often leading to brain damage. Vomiting and diarrhea, often with blood, is often noted first. Additional signs include lethargy, weakness, pain in the abdomen, yellowing of the skin, gums, and eyes, abnormal walking, tremors, seizure, and coma. The effects of this plant can be seen in as little as 15 minutes! Immediate veterinary assistance is highly recommended.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of plant: 
All
Symptoms: 
Vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, yellowing of the skin and eyes, drunk walking, tremors, seizures, and coma.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.