Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Roses

Severity scale:
No/low toxicity

This potential toxin is considered to be a mild risk or the symptoms are not considered serious. The risk level, however, may vary depending on the amount or part ingested (see details below). While in most cases you should be able to carefully monitor your pet at home, if any of the symptoms listed below appear, if your pet's condition worsens not improves, or if there is any change in your pet's behavior or other habits, please contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance.

Roses are beautiful perennial flowering plants that come in hundreds of species and varieties and grow in tall shrubs with stems that are often lined with sharp thorns. Commonly given as a cut flower in flower arrangements as a beautiful, fragrant symbol of love or friendship, the flowers can vary in size, shape, and color, but are considered non-toxic to dogs and cats. The thorns on the stems can pose hazards to your pet, though, and can cause damage to the mouth, gums, throat and face. Sometimes, pets may vomit or have mild diarrhea following ingestion of roses or their leaves or stems, but this is generally just due to their lack of digestibility, not due to any toxic response.

Other names: 
rosaceae, love flowers
Toxic to: 
None
Symptoms: 
None, although mild vomiting and diarrhea is possible
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.