Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Plums

Severity scale:
No/low toxicity

This potential toxin is considered to be a mild risk or the symptoms are not considered serious. The risk level, however, may vary depending on the amount or part ingested (see details below). While in most cases you should be able to carefully monitor your pet at home, if any of the symptoms listed below appear, if your pet's condition worsens not improves, or if there is any change in your pet's behavior or other habits, please contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance.

Plums can be a refreshing delight for many people, however these fruity morsels should not be given to our furry companions.  In general, the edible parts of plums (the skin and main fruit) are not considered a high risk toxin, but the problem with plums is related to the stems, leaves, and pit, all which contain various levels of cyanide. When these forms of the plant are excessive chewed or crushed, a toxin called cyanide is released. In addition, higher levels of cyanide are also noted when the greeny parts of the plant are wilted. Cyanide comes from something called cyanogenic glycosides.  Cyanide in the body causes a lack of oxygen to the cells, leading to a generalized oxygen depravation, resulting in serious and possible life threatening issues. Clinical signs to note of this toxicity include dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, bright red gums, seizures, collapse, and shock. It is thought that a considerable amount of the plant and pit must be crushed/chewed before problems are seen, however any ingestion should be reported immediately.  Another issue commonly seen is related to the size of the pit itself. Ingestion of either a whole or partial pit can lead to irritation of the stomach and intestines, and possible blockage of these areas.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of food: 
stems, leaves and pit contain cyanide
Symptoms: 
dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, bright red gums, dizziness, seizures, collapse, shock, death
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.