This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.
We may love onions with our Philly cheese steak, on that burger, or fried on top of that green bean casserole, but should certainly keep them away from our dogs and cats. While cats and Japanese dog breeds (such as the Akita) are considered to be at the highest risk, any pet can have a serious reaction to onions. Onions share the same family, the Allium family, as garlic. All forms of onions are toxic to our furry friends, including raw or cooked onions, dehydrated onions, and any foods containing onions. Onions, garlic, leeks, and chives are all included in this family, and all lead to the break down of red blood cells and potentially severe or even life-threatening anemia. The lack of oxygen can cause breathing problems and easily damage various organs in the body. Ingestion of any member of the Allium family can cause damage to the mouth, stomach, and intestines, lower blood pressure, and issues with clotting of the blood. More mild or early-onset signs of onion, chive, and leek toxicity can include pain in the mouth and abdomen, vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, pale gums, changes in the way your pet walks, weakness, dark colored urine, and lethargy. These clinical signs may not be noted until a few days after the onion is eaten.