Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

Oleanders often produce plants with dainty pink flowers, however their toxic effects are anything but small to our dog and cat friends. Both the fresh and dried products are dangerous, with every part of the plant  (including the water it sits in) causing signficant -electrical problems to the heart. Even the ingestion of 1-2 parts of a plant or a few seeds can cause significant issues within 30 minutes. Symptoms to note include watery and or bloody diarrhea and vomit, drooling, irregular heart rate and rhythm,pain in the abdomen, decreased appetite, decreased body temperature, difficulty breathing, walking abnormally, abnormal pupil size, weakness, depression, tremors, and coma. A rash/hives may also be seen at the site of contact.  If you suspect that your cat or dog has ingested any part of this plant, immediate veterinary assistance is recommended.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of plant: 
All, leaves, stems
Symptoms: 
Vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, abdominal pain, irregular heart beat, low blood pressure, disorientation, lethargy, fainting, depression, hives, rash, and vision disturbances.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.