Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

Mercury is also known as quicksilver because it is a silver-colored liquid. It is a naturally occurring element that can cause serious environmental and health problems. There are several common sources of mercury in a household, including thermometers, fluorescent lights, button-cell batteries, barometers, thermostats, electrical switches, some blood pressure measuring devices, and in the lights commonly found in children's athletic sneakers (those that "light-up" with each step). These sources are poorly absorbed by the body, so accidental ingestion is a moderate toxicity level, but large amounts of inorganic forms/compounds such as these can lead to serious kidney damage.

Mercury is also present in organic forms, such as fish and other marine life, which when ingested at toxic levels or over a prolonged exposure period, can lead to irreversible brain damage, bone, joint, muscle, and organ failure.

Other names: 
Inorganic forms (thermometers, batteries, fluorescent lights), Organic forms (marine life)
Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Symptoms: 
Vomiting, diarrhea, kidney damage/failure can be seen after ingestion of inorganic compounds. Blindness, hyperactivity, abnormal behavior, abnormal chewing, convulsions, lack of coordination, and hind leg rigidity can be seen following organic compound ingestion, but usually not for several weeks after the poisoning due to the often irreversible damage being caused by mercury accumulating in the brain, kidneys, and muscles.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.