Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Lily of the Valley

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

Lily of the Valley, though beautiful, is extremely poisonous when it comes to our dogs and cats. This plant creates havoc on the heart, disrupting the electrical activity and damaging the heart muscle. Both the fresh and dried form of this plant is dangerous, with the leaves, flowers, rhizome (part of the plant underground), and water in which the flowes are kept, all causing issues.  Signs can be seen as quickly as 30 minutes after ingestion with as little as 1-2 parts of the plant or seeds being eaten. Common clinical signs include vomiting and diarrhea (+/- blood), drooling, irregular heart rate and rhythm, abdominal pain, decreased appetite,difficulty breathing, decreased body temperature, difficulty walking,  abnormal pupil size, weakness, depression, tremors, and coma.If you suspect that your furry friend has been exposed to this plant in any way, please contact your veterinarian immediately.

Other names: 
Sweet Lily
Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of plant: 
Leaves, flowers, rhizone, and water in which flowers have been kept
Symptoms: 
Vomiting, trembling, abdominal pain, diarrhea, irregular heart beats, and bleeding.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.