This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.
Lead poisoning in pets can be just as severe as it is in humans. Keeping items such as batteries, golf balls, and fishing equipment out of reach is a good idea. The effects can be long lasting and cause chronic concerns down the road. In the immediate time frame, lead can cause anemia and, if swallowed, can corrode the stomach lining. Please seek immediate veterinary care.