Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

Have a headache? Reach for the Advil! Just be sure that your cat and dog are not around. This common household medication falls within the class of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs), which includes aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen and acetaminophen, and can have fatal results if swallowed by your furry friend. Ibuprofen should never be given to a pet for perceived pain or fever. Cats are especially susceptible to poisoning from this medication and just one 200 mg tablet can lethal. Dogs and cats alike, though, are at risk for poisoning at even small doses.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Formulations: 
Advil, Motrin, Pamprin
Symptoms: 
Vomiting, bloody vomit, diarrhea, black tarry stool, pale gums, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, seizures, bad breath, kidney failure, liver failure
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.