Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

Hops may be popular among humans as a  beer pasttime, but should never be given to our furry friends. The greatest issue we see with hop ingestion is an increased body temperature and it can be seen within a few hours after the hops have been eaten. If the ingestion is not caught quickly enough,the toxicity can be fatal. Clinical signs include vomiting, pain in the abdomen, abnormal heart and respiratory rate, panting, restlessness, hyperexcitability, brown looking urine, and seizures. Please have your pet seen by a veterinarian immediately if hop ingestion is suspected.  

Toxic to: 
Dogs
Part of plant: 
All
Symptoms: 
Vomiting, restlessness, abdominal pain, panting, hyperthermia, and seizures.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.