Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Holly

Severity scale:
No/low toxicity

This potential toxin is considered to be a mild risk or the symptoms are not considered serious. The risk level, however, may vary depending on the amount or part ingested (see details below). While in most cases you should be able to carefully monitor your pet at home, if any of the symptoms listed below appear, if your pet's condition worsens not improves, or if there is any change in your pet's behavior or other habits, please contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance.

A classic holiday season decoration, Holly grows in the form of shrubs or trees with glossy, leathery leaves with spiny edges, and small white, yellow, or green/white flowers. Their main distinguishing feature is the characteristic fruits in red, yellow or black. Eating the berries or leaves of this plant could give your pet some mild diarrhea or vomiting, which is generally short-lived, however, in elderly, sick, or very small pets, can lead to dehydration.

Other names: 
Ilex opaca, Winterberry, English Holly, Oregan Holly, Winterberry, American holly
Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Symptoms: 
Vomiting and diarrhea
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.