While garbage to us is offputting, it often is a sweet delight for dogs and cats. The problem with garbage mainly originates from a product called aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is produced by a family of fungi called Aspergillus and often is found in grain based foods and moldy bread. Aflatoxin causes damage to liver cells, leading to abnormal liver function. Clinical signs of garbage toxicity can include vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, increased body temperature, yellowing of the eyes, skin, and gums, weakness, collapse, seizures, an increase in thirst and urination, and coma. It can take up to three weeks before signs from exposure to this nasty fungus is noted.