Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

Foxgloves are a gorgeous flower that can come in many colors. Though beautiful, this plant is extremely dangerous to our furry friends and should be avoided at all costs. All parts of the plant, including fresh and dried products, are toxic and cause significant problems to the electrical activity of the heart. Even the water in which the plant is kept can be poisonous.  Common signs to watch for include vomiting and diarrhea that may or may not contain blood, drooling, irregular heart rhythm and rate, pain in the abdomen, decreased appetite, decreased body temperature, difficulty breathing, walking abnormally, abnormal pupil size, weakness, depression, tremors, and coma. A rash may also be seen at the site of contact.If you suspect that your cat or dog has ingested any part of this plant, please seek veterinary advice immediately. Toxic signs have been noted after as little as 1-2 parts of the plant or just a few seeds have been eaten and can be seen as quickly as 30 minutes after ingestion.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of plant: 
All
Symptoms: 
Abnormal heart rhythm, vomiting, diarrhea, and heart failure.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.