Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Ethylene glycol

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

We have all heard of animals being poisoned with anti-freeze.Ethylene glycol can also be found in de-icer fluid, motor oils, and break fluid. Because it tastes sweet (especially Anti-freeze), it can be irresistable for our furry family members. Be sure to wipe up any spills in the drivewway or garage right away. Toxic dose: dogs 2-3mls/lb, cats- 0.64mls/lb Induce vomiting and seek immediate veterinary care

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Brand names: 
Automotive antifreeze, windshield de-icing agents, motor oils, hydraulic break fluid, small amounts in printer ink, paint, spackle
Symptoms: 
Drunkenness, excessive thirst or urination, vomiting, panting, sedation, lethargy, and coma
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.