Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Cherries

Severity scale:

Cherries, though delicious to us, can pose issues to both dogs and cats. The greatest concern we have with cherries comes from the cyanide that is found in the pit, leaves, and stems of cherries (and of cherry trees). While the pits ideally have to be crushed in order for the cyanide to be released (issues are often seen in cows and other plant eating animals who both crush the plant and have a specific enzyme allowing release of the cyanide), any ingestion of cherries should not be taken lighty. Cyanide leads to a lack of oxygen available to the cells of the body, causing a major deficit in the body and leading to serious and potentially life-threatening issues. Signs of cherry toxicity include difficulty breathing, bright red gums, dilated pupils, seizures, collapse, and shock. In addition to cyanide, the cherry fruit itself can grow mold and produce alcohol, both of which can cause additional issues (please refer to the sections on alcohol and garbage).

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
The stems, leaves, and pits, which contain cyanide
Symptoms: 
Dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, bright red gums, dizziness, seizures, collapse, and shock.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.