Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Carnation

Severity scale:
No/low toxicity

This potential toxin is considered to be a mild risk or the symptoms are not considered serious. The risk level, however, may vary depending on the amount or part ingested (see details below). While in most cases you should be able to carefully monitor your pet at home, if any of the symptoms listed below appear, if your pet's condition worsens not improves, or if there is any change in your pet's behavior or other habits, please contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance.

Carnations are a beautiful flowering plant that is typically 6-24 inch high with many 5-parted spiky pink, green, yellow, peach, red, purple or white flowers. Commonly used as colorful fillers in cut flower arrangements, your pet chomping on these flowers will probably cause no symptoms, but may lead to some mild nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea due to the lack of digestibility of the plant.

Other names: 
Dianthus caryophyllus, Pinks, Sweet William, Dianthus, spray carnations, border carnations, perpetual flowering carnations
Toxic to: 
None
Symptoms: 
Mild vomiting and diarrhea when ingested and can cause contact dermatitis--red, itchy skin lesions with physical contact with plant
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.