Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

This medication is used for treating psoriasis in humans. It is found in the creams and ointments prescribed for this skin condition. Because of the high levels of vitamin D and calcium contained within these products, it is considered toxic to pets. Even a small dose can have severe consequences, so any skin that has recently been treated with the cream, even if it has dried, should not be licked. The high levels of Vitamin D and Calcium can lead to high calcium levels in pets, even in very small amounts, which can lead to life-threatening acute kidney failure. In fact, kidney failure caused by this medication, even if treated quickly, can still become a chronic problem.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Formulations: 
Creams and ointments used to treat psoriasis, such as cholecalciferol, Taclonex, and Dovonex
Symptoms: 
Loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, passing large amounts of urine, excessive thirst, depression, weakness, acute or chronic kidney failure, coma, seizures, death
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.