Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Caffeine

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

Caffeine. Most Americans live off of it! We start our days with our coffee or tea, enjoy caffeinated beverages with lunch, and have chocolate cake for dessert with dinner. While wonderful to the average human, this is a stimulant that should never be given to our furry friends. Caffeine is absorbed rapidly (within 30-60 minutes) after ingestion and can cause a variety of issues. Common physical signs can include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity and increased general excitement, difficulty walking, seizures and muscle tremors. Abnormal heart rate and rhthm, increased drinking and urination, abnormal and difficulty breathing, and blue gums are also possible symptoms. These signs can be seen within 1-2 hours after caffeine has been eaten. Depending on the amount ingested relative to the size of your pet, caffeine ingestion can be very serious. It important to note that caffeine and chocolate are highly related, and the two together can present an even greater emergency.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of food: 
coffee, tea, soda (Pepsi, Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, etc.), energy drinks (Red Bull, 5-Hour Energy, etc.), diet pills, chocolate, cocoa beans
Symptoms: 
hyperactivity, restlesness, vomitting, elevated heart rate, hypertension, abnormal heart rythm, hyperthermia, tremors, seizures, collapse, and even death
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.