Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Bones

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

It can be extremely tempting to give our furry friends the left over bones from your dinner. Real animal bones, however, can easily splinter into sharp pieces or be swallowed whole, causing punctures and/or blockage in the stomach and intestines.  Bones can also get stuck in the mouth or esophagus. Signs that your pet might be having a problem related to ingesting bones include excessive drooling, difficulty swallowing, smacking of lips (indicating nausea), lack of appetite, lethargy, vomiting with or without blood, vomiting immediately after eating, blood in stool, black, tarry stools, absence of stool, and severe abdominal pain. While bones are not necessarily "toxic", they can pose danger to your pet. Depending on the situation, though, there may be steps you can take to help protect your pet following bone ingestion.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of food: 
whole or splintered pieces
Symptoms: 
excessive drooling, difficulty swallowing, nausea, vomitng with or without blood, blood in stool, black, tarry stools, absence of stool, severe abdominal pain
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.