Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Black walnut

Severity scale:
Caution
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

Black walnuts can be typically be found in any holiday nut mixture and are used in cooking and baking all year round. Walnuts in general are not toxic to pets. The concern for these particular nuts is when they become moldy. It's the actual mold spores that form within the walnuts that are the cause of concern. Dogs are susceptible to this type of toxin and are prone to seizure activity. If you have walnuts in your home, please be sure that they stay fresh and out of the way of your furry family members. If you think your dog has eaten moldy walnuts, consult with your veterinarian for care instructions.

Toxic to: 
Dogs
Part of plant: 
Moldy nuts
Symptoms: 
Seizures
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.