This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.
Beta-blockers are a class of common heart or blood pressure medications used in both people and pets. When given as directed, these drugs are life-saving and do a wonderful job of regulating heart problems. If an accidental overdose occurs, however, the outcome can be fatal. There is a very, very narrow margin of safety with any drugs within this class, so even the slightest additional amount can result in heart failure, a decreased heart rate, low blood pressure, and kidney failure. In accidental ingestion cases, or in cases where an overdose of medication may have been given, immediate treatment is necessary.