Severity scale:
This toxin is considered to be a moderate risk. However, your pet's medical history, age, weight, and breed could put him/her at higher risk. It is advised that you contact whiskerDocs or your primary veterinarian for further guidance about any steps you may need to take to ensure your pet's safety. If you choose to, you may monitor your pet closely, but the onset or worsening of any of the below symptoms warrants a trip to the emergency room.

Apricots are delicious for us humans in fruit, jellies, and baked goods, but should never be shared with our furry friends. The issue arises from the stems, leaves and seeds of the fruit, all of which contain cyanide. The fleshy part of the fruit, however, is generally considered safe. When toxic parts of the fruit or plant are ingested, however, the greatest problem occurs when the seeds are heavily chewed or crushed. Higher levels of cyanide are also noted more when the green parts of the plant have wilted. Cyanide arises from something called cyanogenic glycosides. When the plant in question is chewed, these glycosides release cyanide. Cyanide toxicity leads to a lack of oxygen available to the cells of the body, leading to an oxygen deficit and causing serious and possible life threatening issues. Signs of cyanide toxicity include bright red gums, difficulty breathing, dilated pupils, collapse, seizures, and shock. It is thought that a large quantity of seeds and plant must be eaten before issues are noted, however any ingestion should be reported immediately.  In addition to the problems caused by cyanide, the seeds of apricots can often lead to irritation in the stomach and intestines, and can potentially get stuck, causing an obstruction.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of food: 
Stems, leaves and seeds contain cyanide
Dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, bright red gums, dizziness, seizures, collapse, shock, death
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.