Have Pet Questions?

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Your information is safe and secure with us; please read out privacy policy for more details.

Algae, blue-green

Severity scale:
ER

This toxin is considered to be a very high risk and your pet should be evaluated as an emergency at your nearest veterinary hospital. You may want to contact whiskerDocs or the hospital if your pet has recently ingested this toxin to see if there are additional steps you need to take before leaving home.

Have you ever wondered what that blue-green stuff is growing in a pond? Well that would be a nasty bacteria known as blue-green algae. Blue-green algae can be found in both a mixture of fresh and salt water, and fresh water, and often are noted in places such as streams, lakes, and backyard ponds. This algae is more commonly seen in the warmer months when the water temperature is higher. There are many species of this bacteria and each one should be considered toxic. The most common systems damaged by algae are the brain and liver, with common signs including diarrhea, tense and tremoring muscles, paralysis, blue skin and gums or yellow eyes, skin, and gums (depending on the toxin), drooling, weakness, difficulty breathing, and coma. Depending on the species of algae, signs can begin within minutes of ingestion, so immediate veterinary contact is recommended.

Toxic to: 
Dogs and Cats
Part of plant: 
Cyanobacteria waterblooms - animals ingest water
Symptoms: 
Muscle tremors, watery or bloody diarrhea, difficulty breathing, and coma.
whiskerDocs' content is for informational purposes only. Read our Terms.